Insulation is any type of material that’s used to fill the spaces of your home, reducing heat flow by reflection and/or absorption. Heat flows naturally from warmer areas to cooler ones and insulation works by slowing the movement of heat from a hot space to a cooler space. It helps increase the energy efficiency of your home by reducing the amount of heat escaping in the winter and retaining cold air in the summer. Insulation is typically used in attics, walls, and basements to keep the airflow in your home comfortable and safe.
At Air Care Services, Inc., we are more than just a commercial air duct service near Naperville—we can help with insulation removal that is no longer beneficial to your home.
Types of Insulation
There’s more than just one type of insulation. Depending on your needs and price limit, insulation comes in several types of thermal options, some of which include:
- Fiberglass: This is the most common type of insulation used because of its make-up—fine strands of glass woven into insulation material. It allows for minimal heat transfer and it’s non-flammable. When installing fiberglass, you must be very careful as the glass powder can cause damage to the eyes, lungs, and skin.
- Cellulose: Cellulose insulation is the most eco-friendly form as it’s made from recycled cardboard, paper, and other similar materials. It is also possible that cellulose helps in minimizing fire damage because of the compactness of the material—containing little to no oxygen in it.
- Polyurethane Foam: This type of foam uses non-chlorofluorocarbon gas for use as a blowing agent, helping to decrease the amount of damage to the ozone layer. There’s also a low-density option that can be sprayed into areas that have no insulation.
- Mineral Wool: Mineral wool can either be glass wool, which is fiberglass manufactured, or rock wool, which is a type of insulation made from basalt. However, most of the mineral wool in the US is actually slag wool, produced from the slag from steel mills. If you reside in a place with extreme heat, mineral wool is most likely not your best choice for insulation.
Insulation removal can be a messy and time-consuming job, so it’s important to contact Air Care Services, Inc. as we are the professionals who are here to help! We will be prepared to take on the job and plan out the process to help save you from costly mistakes. However, if you choose to do this yourself, here is what you need for insulation removal:
- A HEPA-filter rater, high-powered, large capacity vacuum
- Correct protective gear such as clothing, goggles, and a good mask
- Large rolls of plastic sheeting as well as taping off areas of your home
- Sealable, large heavy-duty trash bags to empty your vacuum into
Make sure you are disposing of old insulation responsibly, at a certified recycling or waste management facility. Look up your local regulations before you dispose of the insulation.
Air Car Services Inc. is ready to help with your commercial air duct services around Naperville, but we are also here to help with insulation removal as well. Check out our website for more information and contact us if you think it’s time to replace your home’s insulation today.