Your ducts are now clean…what should you expect?
You should notice a difference in about three days. In order to reduce the amount of deposits and contaminants in your ducts, here are some helpful hints on keeping your ducts clean.
- Invest in a Quality Air Filter for your furnace, if you have one, and clean the filter every 30 days
- When cleaning your home, vacuum first, then dust
- Never run your furnace fan with the windows and doors open, as this will increase your dust accumulation
- If you have a cold air return near a fireplace, cover it when burning a fire
- Clean all the floor and wall registers once a year
- If possible, vacuum down the ducts once a year
- Keep the cold air returns dusted off
- Have your furnace and air conditioner cleaned and checked every two years
- Remember that the average household will track in roughly 2 to 3 pounds of dirt a week, and will create 30 pounds of dust per year in your household
- Have your ducts cleaned once every three to five years
Compiled from publications including the EPA, here are more ways your family can control air pollution such as chemicals, molds, and dust mites in your home.
- Never use a gas oven to heat your home
- Never cook with charcoal inside the home
- Make sure your stove is properly vented and not leaking
- If you smoke, use one room that is properly vented outside your home
- Fix water leaks, seepage problems, and throw out any damaged items
- Wash your bedding often in hot water
- Keep shower curtains clean and install bathroom exhaust fans
- Clean refrigerator and humidifier drain pans
- Change or clean heating and air conditioning filters on a timely basis
- Do not mix chemical cleaners
- Provide ample ventilation when using paints, solvents, and chemical cleaners
- Have air conditioning appliances cleaned and serviced regularly
Contact Air Care Services to see how we can help maintain your home’s air ducts!